Thursday, February 4, 2010

CYC Pikes Peak Descent * Part I

I don't know what made me think of this yesterday but as a kid & for whatever reason this article had an impact on me.
The short of it is this. 1978 two Colorado Springs high school juniors send a letter to BMXA explaining they are going to descend Pikes Peak backpacking trails on BMX bikes.
BMXA loves the idea, commits to a two part article (oct-nov/dec issues) and sets the kids up with a bike sponsor, CYC MX.
CYC even went as far as building a couple custom frames complete with sprocket guards.
(the first bashguard bikes)
Part one is the building and testing of the two bikes by the BMXA test team.
Part two is the actual ride.
After revisiting this I think I was just stoked that two kids far from the magazine scene pulled this off, had a cool adventure and got a couple free bikes out of the deal.

No comments: